Thursday, May 12, 2011

Combat Mindset and Self Defense #7

This is my 7th post on Combat Mindset and Self Defense.
I have received this question in many variations over the years that I have been carrying and it is, “why do you carry your pistol Condition 1? (Round in chamber, safety on).
My answer is simple, the fewer weapon manipulations that I have to conduct prior to firing the fewer chances of malfunctions, stoppages, and less time before lead is headed downrange. This invariably brings up the next question “Do you think it is as safe to carry a round in the chamber especially when your hammer is cocked?” My answer to this is a little more complex
If I carry my pistol Condition 3 (mag inserted, NO round in chamber, hammer down safety off the 1911’s safety does not engage unless the hammer is to the rear) then I am not ready to engage in a moments notice and I have to rack the slide to chamber a round which invites failure to feeds (FTF) and other malfunctions. Also if I am already hit before I draw my weapon I may not have the use of both hands to chamber a round which will then cause me to have to rack the weapon off of my belt or off the edge of a hard surface, all of which takes a lot more time to get my weapon ready.
All recently manufactured pistols have some sort of built in safety function in them and they are designed to be carried condition one with a round in the chamber. Many people do not feel comfortable carrying their weapon in this condition as they cannot feel safe knowing that there is a round in the chamber. To me this just means that they do not trust themselves usually due to lack of practice on their part. I have spent the last 5 going on 6 years carrying all my weapons in combat, Condition one and would never feel safe unless it is in this condition. Your primary safety is in between your ears and if you follow the 5 safety rules you will never have a problem.
The five safety rules are as follows.
1.      Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2.      Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
3.      Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until your are ready to fire
4.      Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire
5.      Know your target and what lies beyond it.
If you follow these 5 simple rules you will never have a negligent discharge or shoot someone that you do not want to. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE!! The only other type of discharge of your weapon other than a planned or negligent discharge is caused by the complete failure of the weapons safety system or in the case of automatic weapons a cook off where the round pre-ignites due to the residual heat of the barrel due to prolonged and sustained firing.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you on the carrying where you are "ready to rock" st to speak. While I am not a service member (current or prior) I do have the Concealed Carry license for my home state, and when I carry, I have 1 in the pipe, a full magazine, safety on (also a 1911 so, I know about the safety.) I like to remember that a pistol sans ammo is nothing more than a rock, and a pretty crappy rock at that.

    I still don't understand why people think that the best way to ensure safety is to disarm the population amid the predators that look to maximize their specific wants and desires at the expense of others. I feel that it is ones duty to their family to be able to protect them against any reasonable threat. As such, I am armed, and so is my wife (through her own means, but still.) My .45 and her 12 gauge should be enough for our home.

    Well, barring having to take on a tank.

    ReplyDelete